Tuesday, July 11, 2006

WTF... Hey buddy ... why a kilt? ... To work? ... Trying to impress somebody?

I mean ... do you whisper down the tech support line...

"Hey baby ... I can help you ... I'm wearing ... a kilt!"

Saturday was the Scottish Festival at witch I bought a Kilt for a killer deal and decided I would wear it to work.


Every thing was cool until I got back from lunch and Luke said to go Aux 4. He said I needed to go change because my Kilt was Unprofessional... HELLO I live in Payson, I would take an hour and half to change and come back. So I took 4 hours PTO because it’s not worth the gas to go and come back. And if you can’t tell be now I less then like this Job.

The kilt is FORMAL wear, like a suit. If it's considered acceptable to wear it to black tie and other formal occasions, why should wearing it be too CASUAL for work? As for professional wear, the U.S. Marine Corps' tartan is called the "Leatherneck", and there are also U.S. Navy and U.S. Air Force tartans. The Air Force has a pipe band and you know they wear the kilt as business attire.

If the kilt follows all dress code rules for ladies skirts, then I should be allowed to wear it. Otherwise, Dentrix is discriminating against Me or any other Kilt wear.

This is discrimination, what’s the difference is between Scottish national dress, African, Middle Eastern, Jewish, etc. Mostly likely they allow Africans, Jewish, and Middle Easterners to wear their garb without comment. What I’ am up against is the perception of the kilt as a costume, so therefore it would be inappropriate for work. The kilt however, is most definitely not a costume, and it can be found in business meetings throughout Scotland and the world.

As someone with strong Scottish heritage, I welcome any man wearing a kilt. I don't believe you have to be Scottish to wear a kilt, any more than you have to be Japanese to wear a Kimono, or a cowboy to wear blue jeans. It’s a tribute to Scottish culture that it’s being adapted, not disrespect. It’s definitely far more comfortable and has some distinct advantages. Kilts are great for walking in, they don't rip out, and they force you into conversations with strangers.

For Example Business casual, something button down (including a polo shirt) goes well with most kilts, along with socks and a decent pair of shoes. For a more professional look, I will go ahead and wear kilt hose, a dress shirt (and depending on the situation, maybe a tie). Obviously, there are some things that won't work for professional dress or even business casual.

2 comments:

Eric said...

I'm all for you buddy, support is really getting dumb as of late, they are so concerned about something the nix it even if no one complains - like the webcam thing you want to know why they took it down? because a core tech was looking at it


OH NO A CORE TECH IS LOOKING AT ERIC! ALL HELL WILL BREAK LOOSE!

it's like i'm medusa or something

i swear if i had bad breath - they'd ask me to stop breathing

anyway i say you stick it to the man, i'm totally behind you

Kr5is said...

BASTARDS!